University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities
Registration for winter term 2016/17 is closed (deadline: September 2, 2016)!
Please note the deadlines for course registration in summer semester 2017:
- Payment of the course fee: January 23 to February 3, 2017
- Enrolment at the university January 23 to February 6, 2017
What is the VWU?
The VWU is an institution providing university preparation courses for international students.
Its role is to prepare students for supplementary examinations.
The VWU offers intensive courses for foreign applicants for a place at university to prepare them for supplementary examinations prescribed by the universities.
The Rules and Regulations of the VWU form the basis of the VWU.
Our mission statement contains basic values of the VWU
The VWU offers courses in
- German as a foreign language
- English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography.
ALL supplementary examinations take place at the VWU.
How is the VWU organised?
It is a university course that is run by the OeAD-GmbH (Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research – OeAD-GmbH) – together with the following six universities of Vienna:
- University of Vienna (UNI Wien)
- Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration (WU)
- Vienna University of Technology (TU)
- Medical University Vienna (MedUni)
- University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU)
- University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna (VETMED).
The six universities are represented in the VWU Board. The VWU Board is the supervisory board of the VWU.
Who works/teaches at the VWU?
Teaching staff: approx. 50 academically qualified lecturers.Head of the programme: director / administrator (deputy director)Three to four people work in the secretaries’ office.
Who studies at the VWU?
Each semester approximately 800 students who have been admitted by one of the six universities attend courses at the VWU. They come from 75 to 80 countries from all over the world. The students are enrolled as non-degree programme students (außerordentliche Studierende) at their universities.
How is the VWU financed?
- Course fees
- The Austrian Federal Ministry of Education (BMB) provides the teachers.
- Help with integration
The VWU supports the international students with their integration into the Austrian (academic) environment by special projects such astutor project “Mother tongue contact persons (Muttersprachliche AnsprechpartnerInnen (MAP))“, the intercultural practical training (IKP), excursions and information events.
- Expertise und Internationalität
The VWU has more than 50 years of experience in the field of German as a foreign language and in the field of preparing students for university studies.
The VWU participates in European projects (CHAGAL) and is networking with preparatory institutions all over Europe.
- Commitment and bridge-building
The VWU acts as an intermediary and bridge between the different educational systems, lifestyles, traditions, languages and cultures.
The VWU actively supports the interests of the international students, especially of those from economically weak countries.