Amount of the tuition fees
Tuition fee regulations as of the summer semester 2013
- Degree programme students (ordentliche Studierende) who are nationals of an EU or EEA country and degree programme students who are granted the same rights regarding employment as Austrians on the basis of another contract under international law and who exceed the scheduled duration of their bachelor or master or doctoral/PhD programme or a section of their diploma degree programme by more than two semesters: 363.36 euros for each semester. If the tuition fees are paid during the additional enrolment period, they increase by 10%.
- Non-degree programme students (außerordentliche Studierende) who are only admitted to study a few specific courses at a higher education institution, no matter what their nationality: 363.36 euros for each semester (from the first semester)
- Degree programme students (ordentliche Studierende) from third countries who are not included in para. 1 or the group of people according to § 1 of the regulation of the Federal Minister of Science and Transport about the definition of groups of people as regards admission to degree programme studies (groups of persons regulation / Personengruppenverordnung), BGBl. II No. 211/1997, as amended by the regulation BGBl. II No. 15/1998, and who possess a residence permit for students according to § 64 of the Settlement and Residence Act: 726.72 euros per semester (from the first semester; but no increased tuition fees in case of payment during the additional enrolment period)
- All other degree programme students (ordentliche Studierende) from third countries to whom neither para. 1 nor para. 2, 1st sentence apply (especially those who have a residence title other than a “residence permit student” ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierender"): 363.36 euros per semester (after the tuition fee-free period)
Students who are admitted to more than one degree programme, or more than one university, only have to pay their tuition fees once.
The regulations regarding waiver or reimbursement of the tuition fees remain unchanged.
All students have to pay the Austrian Student Union (Österreichische Hochschülerschaft, ÖH) fee and an accident insurance fee of altogether 17.50 euros per semester.
Information of the universities
Each university has its own regulations for a reduction or exemption or a (partial) refund of the tuition fees. For details please contact the Admission Office of your university.
If the tuition fees are paid after the general enrolment period but still within the additional enrolment period (which lasts until November 30th for the winter semester and April 30th for the summer semester), the tuition fees will increase by 10%.
If you are admitted to study at more than one university simultaneously, you only have to pay the tuition fees at one university. You, however, have to notify all other universities in writing at which Austrian university you paid the tuition fee.
The following students do not have to pay tuition fees:
- Students in those semesters for which they can prove that they will pursue studies or practical training in the framework of transnational EU, state or university mobility programmes (e.g. Erasmus students, OeAD scholarship holders);
- Foreign degree programme students (ordentliche Studierende) according to § 91 Abs. 2 University Act (= who would normally have to pay tuition fees of 363.36 euros) whose most recently attended university has concluded a university partnership agreement with the Austrian university or with Austrian universities that also provides for mutually exempting students from paying tuition fees;
- Students who are only admitted to a university course (Universitätslehrgang) (e.g. University Preparation Programme); they have to pay the study fees (Unterrichtsgeld) for these courses instead;
- Foreign students - who would normally have to pay tuition fees of 363.36 euros - from least developed countries;
- Students who are on leave;
- Students who exceed the minimum time of study in a part of studies and who were prevented from studying for more than 2 months in a semester due to illness, pregnancy or childcare duties;
- Students who exceed the minimum time of study and who worked in the calendar year before the beginning of the semester and had a yearly income which exceeded the minimum income limit (Geringfügigkeitsgrenze) at least 14 times;
- Students who exceed the minimum time of study due to a disability of at least 50%.
Mode of payment
When you are admitted to study the university will issue an encoded payment form. Please pay your tuition fees with this payment form. If the tuition fees are not paid on time, your admission will expire and you will not be able to continue your studies. After correct payment of the tuition fees you will receive a confirmation of the continuation of your studies (Fortsetzungsbestätigung), your record of studies (Studienblatt) for the relevant semester and a sticker for your student identity card. Your admission is valid until the end of the additional enrolment period of the following semester.
For more information, please contact the admission office of the university of your choice directly.